The reason for this post is to tell you point blank how not to be a poor noob. It will take a little commitment on your part and some time. However, this method is easier ISK than ratting, does not require elite PvP skills, and is less boring than mining because it only takes about 30 minutes out of your playing day. Then you can do whatever you like, and you'll have ISK to do it with.
What I 'm talking about is PI. It takes less than two months to train PI to a level sufficient to earn you 100 mISK a week. You can have less than 15 million SP and make this kind of cash. It only takes four of the five PI skills. Remote sensing is totally unnecessary. And not all of them actually need to be at level V (though it increases ISK if they are.) With this plan, you can have nearly a half-billion ISK a month flowing into your wallet. Are you interested?
Here is the training plan. These times are based on having Intelligence at 23 and Memory at 22 with no implants. If you can remap and/or buy implants it will go more quickly.
- Train Planetology to Level IV - 2 days, 18 hours, 33 minutes and 2 seconds
- Train Command Center Upgrades to Level V - 24 days, 22 hours, 49 minutes and 4 seconds
- Train Interplanetary Consolidation to Level V - 24 days, 22 hours, 49 minutes and 47 seconds
- Train Advanced Planetology to Level III - 19 hours, 36 minutes and 26 seconds
Once you have your skills finished, you will need to find a system with six planets you can use. The more out of the way the system, the less competition you will have for resources. Remember, the planet as a whole generates a pool of resources. The more people who dip resources out of that pool, the fewer resources are left for everyone else. Over time, the resource production capacity of the planet diminishes and you will pull fewer and fewer resources.
That said, a high-sec planet, almost any high-sec planet, can comfortably maintain a 288,000 m3 per 23 hour period extraction rate while conducting level 3 production. One of my favorite products is Robotics. You can do it with three magmatic (lava) planets and three barren planets. It is always in demand. It is a major component of POS fuel blocks. I am also fond of Nanite Repair Paste (NRP) but that requires a 50 mISK BPO and some manufacturing skills. I'd recommend Robotics before NRP for a new bro.
Now, I won't lie to you and tell you it is easy to setup a six planet PI manufacturing system. It takes some time, research and perseverance. You'll need ISK in your wallet to purchase command centers, upgrade them and then buy extractors and facilities to start making stuff. I've done a few blog posts about it over the years. Here is a link that will isolate just my PI posts. That will at least get you started in your research.
As for start-up ISK, you will need to purchase the following for a six planet Robotics setup as I described above.
|Lava Command Center||3||ISK 85,000.00||ISK 255,000.00|
|Barren Command Center||3||ISK 85,000.00||ISK 255,000.00|
|Advanced CC Upgrades||6||ISK 2,100,000.00||ISK 12,600,000.00|
|Basic Facility Chiral Structures||9||ISK 75,000.00||ISK 675,000.00|
|Basic Facility Toxic Metals||9||ISK 75,000.00||ISK 675,000.00|
|Basic Facility Precious Metals||9||ISK 75,000.00||ISK 675,000.00|
|Basic Facility Reactive Metals||9||ISK 75,000.00||ISK 675,000.00|
|Advanced Facility Consumer Electronics||9||ISK 250,000.00||ISK 2,250,000.00|
|Advanced Facility Mecahnical Parts||9||ISK 250,000.00||ISK 2,250,000.00|
|Advanced Facility Robotics||3||ISK 250,000.00||ISK 750,000.00|
|Space Port||6||ISK 900,000.00||ISK 5,400,000.00|
|Grand Total:||ISK 26,460,000.00|
You will also have to pay import/export taxes. Until you make your first sale, you will have to front the cost of these taxes. I've taken the current tax rates straight out of the EVE wiki on PI.
TaxesTaxation is dependent on the customs station that the PI goods are being moved through. This was one of the three PI updates from Crucible. If you're in High-Sec, the tax rate is 10%. If you're elsewhere, and the InterBus Customs office hasn't been replaced, the tax rate is 17%. Otherwise, the rate is set by the owner of the Customs Office. The rates go from a base price for each tier of PI goods.
- Tax % is taken off the material's taxable value.
- This value is set by CCP and is based off the market values in November 2011
- Import is always half of export tax
- The taxable value are the same for all items in the same tier
- Advanced Commodities: 1,350,000.00 ISK
- Specialized Commodities: 70,000.00 ISK
- Refined Commodities: 9,000.00 ISK
- Basic commodities: 500.00 ISK
- Planet Resources: 5.00 ISKThe tax price is based on the tax rate of the Customs Office for the taxable value of the materials. I.e. Refined Commodities having a taxable value of 9,000.00 ISK and a Customs Office tax rate of 10% you will pay 900.00 ISK per units. For a tax rate of 17% you will pay 1,530.00 ISK per units.So in High-sec, basic commodities such as Oxygen will cost 50 isk to export a unit, or 25 isk to import. As these numbers are significantly higher than they used to be, you may need to revisit any older processing plan to make sure it is still profitable. Eliminating a import export stage may be required to remain profitable.
There are too many variables with this so I can't give you a hard figure. However, I would plan on needing at least 5 mISK per day you have to import and export without positive cash flow. I had a friend provide a historical reference for your perusal - his high-sec tax transaction logs for the past week doing an NRP production line. The NRP line also has two tier 3 advanced commodities and one additional tier 2 commodity so the taxes are slightly higher than they would be for the Robotics line.
|2/28/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,283,005.50)|
|2/27/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,301,203.00)|
|2/26/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,189,629.50)|
|2/25/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,290,966.50)|
|2/24/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,258,635.50)|
|2/23/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,291,360.00)|
|2/22/13 0:00 Total||ISK (4,004,699.00)|
|Grand Total||ISK (29,619,499.00)|
PI isn't as easy as mining. Mining only needs minimal training, a ship and time to bring in a little ISK. But I'm telling you, it's a long hard grind - no pun intended. With the time you save from making mostly passive ISK from PI, you can do other things. Things that are more fun for you than mining, or mission grinding, or all those other things capsuleers dread. So I ask you, why be a poor noob doing those dreaded things when you can be a rich noob doing what you really like to do?